Zydeco Shrimp recipe is great if you want to serve a flavorful appetizer. The shrimp are butterflied and then marinated in a lemon and garlic marinade for half an hour.
Zydeco Shrimp means cutting down the back to give them a larger surface area. Not only does this make them appear larger but it also exposes more surface to the marinade, so it soaks up more and gets more flavorful from it.
The shrimp are then grilled and served with a homemade Japanese which is based loosely on teriyaki.
Use a bottled teriyaki sauce if you prefer, or simply serve the shrimp with soy sauce for dipping. This recipe is full of flavor and it tastes just as good as something you might order in a restaurant.
Anyone can make great seafood recipes at home though, and seafood is always simpler to work with than people assume at first.
Although you can cook the shrimp without marinating them, you will get the best results if you do marinade, so do so if you have time.
Serve this as an entrée if you prefer, perhaps with boiled rice on the side, and maybe some salad too.
Grilled shrimp are versatile enough to be an appetizer, snack, or entrée; it just depends how many you cook.
Read more: What Do Shrimps Taste Like?
Summary: Choose big, juicy shrimp for this recipe, and pair them with lemon, garlic, butter, and hot sauce. The honey and ginger dipping sauce is especially tasty.
Zydeco Shrimp Shrimp with Japanese Dipping Sauce (Zydeco sauce)
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 20 mins
- 1¼ lbs peeled large shrimp
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Salt, to taste
For the Dipping Sauce:
- ½ teaspoon grated onion
- ½ minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- Cut nearly through each shrimp, down the back from the tail to the neck.
- Pull out and discard the veins.
- Leave the tails on for a nice presentation.
- Rinse the shrimp and lay it open, then cut down the sides and press them out flat.
- Arrange the shrimp in one layer in a large nonreactive dish.
- Combine the lemon juice, hot sauce, garlic, salt, and butter, and pour over the shrimp.
- Refrigerate for ½ hour.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Remove the shrimp from the marinade and discard the marinade.
- Lay the shrimp on a grate over the hot coals, and have them spread open.
- Close the lid of the grill and cook for about 5 minutes, turning once, or until pink.
- Stir the dipping sauce ingredients together and serve on the side.
Conclusion For “Zydeco Shrimp Recipe“
Zydeco Shrimp means cutting into them to remove the vein. As the picture shows, the shrimp are almost cut the whole way through but not quite.
Open them out like you would open out a book and then pour the marinade over. This means you will get marinade right the way through your shrimp, not just on the outside, which gives them a more intense taste.
Butterflied shrimp also appear larger and more attractive. The Japanese dipping sauce can be made in a few minutes and it makes a lovely accompaniment to the seafood.
Else you can just serve the shrimp with lemon or lime wedges if you prefer something simpler.