Are you a fan of Indian cuisine? Do you crave the rich and creamy taste of butter chicken? Look no further, as we provide an in-depth guide on how to make the best butter chicken recipe at home.
- 1 Who Should Try This Recipe?
- 2 What is Butter Chicken?
- 3 When to Serve Butter Chicken?
- 4 Butter Chicken Recipe – How to Make It At Home?
- 5 Pros and Cons of Making Butter Chicken at Home
- 6 Alternatives to Butter Chicken
- 7 Step-by-Step Guide to Making Butter Chicken
- 8 Comparison to Store-Bought Butter Chicken
- 9 Tips for Making the Best Butter Chicken
- 10 The Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
- 11 FAQs about simple butter chicken recipe
- 12 Conclusion
Who Should Try This Recipe?
Anyone who loves Indian food and wants to try their hand at cooking should definitely give this butter chicken recipe a try.
It’s perfect for those who want to impress friends and family with their culinary skills or simply indulge in a comforting and flavorful dish.
What is Butter Chicken?
Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a popular North Indian dish that consists of succulent pieces of chicken cooked in a creamy tomato-based sauce.
The dish is typically served with rice or naan, making it a filling and satisfying meal.
When to Serve Butter Chicken?
Butter chicken is a versatile dish that can be served for lunch or dinner, and is perfect for special occasions such as birthdays or holidays.
It’s also great for meal prepping as it reheats well and tastes even better the next day.
Butter Chicken Recipe – How to Make It At Home?
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, yogurt, ginger garlic paste, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, garam masala and salt. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the marinated chicken on it. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the sauce until smooth. Alternatively, transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the baked chicken to the sauce and stir in the heavy cream. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rice or naan.
- For a healthier version, use boneless skinless chicken breast instead of thighs.
- To make a vegan version, substitute tofu or paneer for the chicken and use coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
- Adjust the amount of chili powder according to your desired level of spiciness.
Pros and Cons of Making Butter Chicken at Home
- You can control the quality and quantity of ingredients used.
- It’s a fun and rewarding cooking experience.
- Homemade butter chicken tastes fresher and more flavorful than takeout.
- It requires some prep work and time to marinate the chicken.
- Some ingredients may be hard to find.
- It can be messy and time-consuming to clean up.
Alternatives to Butter Chicken
If you’re looking for a similar dish but want to switch things up, there are several alternatives to butter chicken:
- Chicken tikka masala: A popular British dish made with marinated chicken cooked in a spiced tomato-based sauce.
- Paneer makhani: A vegetarian version of butter chicken made with paneer, a type of Indian cheese.
- Tandoori chicken: Another popular North Indian dish made with marinated chicken cooked in a clay oven.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Butter Chicken
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and coat the chicken.
- Refrigerate the chicken for at least an hour or overnight.
- Bake the chicken in the oven until cooked through.
- Saute onions and add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Puree the sauce until smooth.
- Add baked chicken to the sauce and stir in heavy cream.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Comparison to Store-Bought Butter Chicken
While store-bought butter chicken may be convenient, homemade recipe for indian butter chicken is often fresher and more flavorful. Additionally, making it at home allows you to control the quality and quantity of ingredients used.
Tips for Making the Best Butter Chicken
- Use high-quality ingredients, especially spices.
- Marinate the chicken for at leastan hour to ensure maximum flavor.
- Bake the chicken instead of frying for a healthier option.
- Use Kashmiri chili powder for a more authentic and less spicy taste.
- Let the sauce simmer for at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serve with rice or naan to soak up the creamy sauce.
The Slow Cooker Butter Chicken Recipe
We believe that this recipe is one of butter chicken recipes out there. It’s easy to follow, uses simple ingredients, and tastes incredible.
FAQs about simple butter chicken recipe
- Can I use chicken breast instead of thighs? Yes, you can use boneless skinless chicken breast if you prefer.
- Is it necessary to marinate the chicken? Marinating the chicken helps to tenderize it and infuse it with flavor, so we recommend doing it for at least an hour.
- Can I make creamy butter chicken recipe ahead of time? Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Cook the chicken and add it to the sauce when ready to serve.
- How can I make this dish vegetarian? Substitute tofu or paneer for the chicken and use coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
- What is the difference between instant pot butter chicken recipe and chicken tikka masala? While they are similar dishes, butter chicken has a creamier tomato-based sauce while chicken tikka masala has a spicier and tangier tomato-based sauce.
Butter chicken is a beloved Indian dish that is easy to make at home with the right ingredients and technique.
This recipe is sure to impress your family and friends with its rich and creamy flavor. Give it a try and enjoy the delicious taste of homemade the butter chicken recipe!